Thursday, October 22, 2009

minor revelation

Despite a decade of imitation (ever more tired), the Libertines still sound fresh. No one has combined the modern guitar jangle of the Strokes -- who also aged surprisingly well, at least "is this it" and "room on fire" -- and the raw energy of the clash/sex pistols. And moments of quite beautiful poetic lyricism. Seriously, listen to them again.

Also, Mick Jones's production, what a godsend. Doesn't sacrifice their visceral sound (again, reaching for the adjective "raw") for the sake of smooth radio friendliness.

Edited: I'm an idiot, Mick Jones not Jagger.

3 comments:

  1. couldn't agree more about the "surprising" weathering of The Strokes. Even when I was a posing high school kid going to Strokes shows (i.e. I liked the band), I wouldn't have believed that their work--which always seemed to rely on a sort of gimmicky exploitation of the mixing table--would be anything less than totally tired and played out. How's that for a backhanded compliment, Salvatore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the greatest disappointments of my youth is that I never saw the Libertines (or the Strokes for that matter) live. The Libertines had just finished their last tour when I got into them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strokes are coming out with a new album comming out in early 2010. I can't wait for the following tour!

    Albert Hammond Jr's solo stuff is kinda sucky but Julian Casablanca's new CD is pretty good. It just came out earlier this week.

    ReplyDelete